Sunday, April 27, 2008

Some late night insomnia thoughts

I am not going to show you any fashions here, this is simply for me to express my thoughts on the events that took place today.

Upon opening the Fash Con notice and discovering that my boots have been allegedly (and I say that for legal purposes) copied and are being sold. The person in question did in fact purchase boots from me and asked me to sell them to her full perm. At that time a red light went off in my head, but I thought "nah, they aren't that good anyways (mind you I have sold plenty of these boots and I tend to think nothing I make is that good no matter what anyone tells me). No big deal"

Well I guess they were good enough, because lo and behold there they were sitting in that notice all proudly with New release!! all over it. I was furious. I tp'd to the store to confront this person and after asking her to remove the content, which she says she did not make herself but she claims to have watched a known content thief build, This person ejected and banned me from her land.

I guess it has come a time in this world that having your hard work stolen becomes a right of passage. Does having my items copied, badly textured, and sold for more mean that I have made it as a designer? This can't be right. I have always thought it was when one of those people who everyone admires blogs you and raves about your items, and people flock to your store because they want to have those items too. Or when someone buys something and they tell a friend and then they tell a friend and so on and so on.

I worked hard on those boots. I strive to make something that I could be proud of. That maybe there were other people out there like me who were hoping to find boots like mine and hey look! there they are.

I had to think of a way to strike back, after much discussion it was decided that we would sell the boots 50% off in the main store for a week and give away a freebie. I can not tell you how much it means to me that people have come and purchased the boots I made. Some of them even went as far as to buy every boot I made. It brings tears to my eyes that people are supporting me like this.

And speaking of support I don't know how I would have gotten through today without my friends. Phire and Sven you two stuck by me all day and for that I am eternally grateful. You two are my best friends and I love you both.

I have hit the stage where I am no longer furious but sad. I am sitting here at 2:30 AM unable to sleep because of the sick feeling in my stomach. I have a lot of work to do now. I will be slowly changing all permissions on my items to transfer only. I am hoping that this will not interfere to much with releasing new items. We had planned on releasing updated versions of the trailmix boots, another heart key, interactive onigiri for your mouth,and leg bandannas. Oh and the freebie ones that we did get out and we were going to put out a couple of little cheapie/freebie items. Over the next week or so I will be putting resizer scripts into the older items and changing permissions and all that. I am hoping to do a few a day and have them all done by the end of the week. It is a lot of work but my heart says it has to be done to protect us in the future.

I apologize for any odd ramblings I may have done here tonight. Like I said earlier, I'm sick and I'm tired, so spelling and being coherent aren't high on my list right now.

I hope that if there is anyone out there reading this, they will stop by the Lazy Places store and show that they support original content creators. I love everyone one of you who has come out already. I am truly grateful for all of your support and hey, you get some pretty awesome boots for some pretty awesome prices if I do say so myself!

~sleepy, sickly, squishy, hugs to all
Sakuradawn

No comments: